Monday, November 24, 2008

I woke up this morning thinking I can't do this anymore. I felt frustrated and my patience was pretty much gone. I feel like my days lately have been all the same. One of my kids does something wrong, I get frustrated, lose my patience with them, put them in time out, then when they get out of time out, it just starts all over again. I then get even more mad and frustrated, then feel guilty because I know I'm not being a nice mom, or a good one. Then I get frustrated with myself, and realize that's really who I've been frustrated with all along. It's a cycle I just don't know how to break. So before I even got out of bed this morning I said a prayer. It helped a little, but I just kept thinking what can I do today that will make this day better. I got up and started reading my scriptures. I was reading in 1 Nephi chapter 13 about the revolutionary war, about how God helped the colonists over throw Great Britain, and it occurred to me that if God could help a few colonist overthrow the British army then He can help me to change my attitude, and do a better job with my children. I felt a little better. I then went in the bathroom where Matt was getting ready for work and told him how I was feeling, he gave me a hug and a kiss and told me I was a good mom, and that I could do it. It's amazing how much that helped. Knowing he believed in me and thought I was a good mom made me feel so much better. So I set out with a new resolve to make this day better and to seek the Lords help in resolving any issues we might have. So we started our day, we went to a friends house, then the park, and then I had a craving for my favorite ice cream. So we went and got some ice cream cones, and as I was sitting there watching my little babies eat their ice cream cones with big smiles on their faces I began to cry. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of love. Love from and for my Heavenly Father, and love for and from my children. How could I have let Satan in to take away my peace and afflict my soul, and try to take away these precious moments with my sweet children. Suddenly everything made sense. I feel like I've learned a lot from this experience, and I hope I won't have to learn it again for a long time.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Heavens to Betsy. I know how you feel!

Tams Family said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been having a hard time with the kiddies. I think it's especially hard because you love them so much. You are a great mom and you will do well!

vanessa said...

You're doing great. I was reading Elder Bednar's talk from Oct conference called "Pray Always" and it reminded me of your morning prayer. Thanks for sharing. It made me resolve to be a better mom also.

Keith and Nicci said...

Hey, thanks for sharing - I needed that too:)

Tyler V said...

Oh, Christina, I feel your pain! I need to learn from you, since you actually found something that worked! You are amazing and have always been a great example to me!

Jan and Larry Myers said...

Christina, you are such a good mom! Just to recognize you were having a problem proves that. And to seek the Lord's help is always the right thing to do. Just know from an old mom who remembers those feelings that each day with your children is the most important day of your life and one day you'll wish you had all those days back again, even the worst of the days are precious. Keep us the great work. You're awesome!!!