Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Going G-Free

That's right folks, I'm going gluten free. I have actually been gluten free for two weeks as of today and I feel great! As some of you know I thought I had an intolerance to lettuce, so I stopped eating it almost five years ago, but I continued to have problems, but then two weeks ago I started to get the feeling it was gluten that was giving me the problems, so I stopped eating it and since then I feel great. I don't know if I have celiac disease or just a gluten intolerance. The soonest I could get in to see the gastroenterologist was July 28th, so I have to wait until then to get tested, but regardless of the outcome, I know I need to avoid gluten. I highly recommend this book by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. She does a fabulous job of explaining how to live a gluten free life. At first I thought it was going to be hard to do, but the more I learn the more I realize how easy it actually is. I can still eat bread, doughnuts, pasta, etc., just none that are made from wheat, barley, or rye. I have tried gluten free bread and pasta so far, and I think I like them better then the regular stuff. And there are so many restaurants that are now offering gluten free menus. In the last two weeks I've been to Outback, Chipotle, Chick-fil-A, Coldstone Creamery, and the list goes on of restaurants that accommodate gluten free diets. Also, I found out that a lot of candies are now gluten free, including two of my favorites, Sour Patch Kids, and Butterfingers, but the list is huge of other candies you can eat. I really think everyone should be on this diet. I feel so great (how many times have I said that now), and I feel so healthy. There is also more and more research coming out about the link between autism and diet, and gluten is one of the proteins that is taken out of the diet of children diagnosed with autism. I also took Quinn off of gluten. I figure it's better for him anyway, and if I come back positive for Celiac disease then I will have my children tested too, because it's a hereditary, autoimmune disease. If anyone has any advice or stories or info they would like to share, please leave a comment or email me at christinastevulak@hotmail.com, I need all the help I can get! Thanks.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I'm glad you are feeling good. I have heard of a lot of places offering gluten free menus so now is the right time I guess. Hey, we blog through Jeff's email so can you send him an invite to your blog also?

Karen said...

Ronda Sjavik is totally gluten free. I know she has tons of recipes. You should call her. Or see her the next time your in town.

PS Did you know Anders and Lauren had a girl? Crazy!

Eddie and Amber said...

Good to hear that maybe you figured it out and that your feeling better. Good luck!!

Tams Family said...

Glad that you have found something that works. Hope all goes well with the doctor appt. Good luck with everything!

Melanie S said...

Thanks sooo much for the gluten-free cookies! You were right! They were so great! I can't believe how thick and soft they were without being dense. Yum! Boy am I glad you are my friend and will let me know that there is hope in the gluten-free world! Hooray!

Keith and Nicci said...

I'm so glad you're feeling so much better and that this isn't as hard as you thought it would be! It's funny because I went through the same shift in thinking, only with dairy!