Thursday, May 15, 2008

Broccoli Salad

Here it is, the Broccoli Salad recipe. A lot of you have had it already because I try to bring it to every gathering I go to because it's my favorite. It reminds me of summer along with Frog Eyed Salad (which I had never heard of until I moved to Utah, and then I thought it sounded disgusting, I mean come on pasta and cool whip, Gross! But now I love it). This is my mother in laws recipe which she got from who knows where, but we believe this broccoli salad recipe is better then others we've tried because of the dressing. Instead of calling for 1 cup mayonnaise it calls for a half cup mayonnaise and half cup miracle whip. I think it adds that extra kick it needs. So without further adieux........

Broccoli Salad

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup miracle whip
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup golden raisins

Mix all the ingredients together and let set in refrigerator overnight. (If you don't have that long, I've let it set for only 45 minutes before and I thought it tasted just as good.)

2-3 broccoli heads (I like to use the bag of cut up broccoli from Costco, use about half the bag)
1 cup celery, sliced (2-3 stalks)
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled

Cut broccoli into small pieces. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Just before serving add the dressing. (I think if you add the dressing too soon before you eat it, the vinegar in the dressing starts to cook the broccoli and then the broccoli isn't as crisp as it should be.)

Well, I hope you enjoy one of my favorite tastes of summer, I would love it if you shared some of your favorite summer recipes too, I need some new ones to add to my repertoire!

No comments: