Monday, June 18, 2007

First Day On The Job





For the past seven weeks I've been flying with this company called Aerial Survey that does oil platform surveys and pipeline surveys. I was not a paid employee, but part of a program that they have that allows me to build my flight time and experience. Last Monday I was asked by the company if I would be interested in flying for them as a paid employee. I jumped on the opportunity, which will allow me to continue to build my flight time and experience while I try to get a job with a regional airline. I don't have any flight benefits, but its a job and it will be one more thing I can add to my resume. Christina and the kids will stay in Seattle, while I work which is two weeks on and two weeks off. I'll just fly to Seattle every two weeks until we figure out what happens in the next couple of months.

Today was my first flight as a paid pilot. Instead of flying strictly over the Gulf of Mexico doing platform patrol I'm mainly flying over land doing pipeline patrol.
The way my job works is on Monday I fly out of Galveston, Tx. Fly certain oil lines and overnight in Houma, La.(which is about 60 miles SW of New Orleans) Monday-Friday while flying various piplines during the week. I get the weekend off and do the same thing the next week usually ending on thursday the second week and then don't work for two more weeks. The nice thing is that I'm salaried so for 9 days of work I get paid pretty good plus I get some money each night I'm away from Galveston and I get free place to stay during the week.





Me and Robert Oler




My Room In Houma

4 comments:

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

Matt the job sounds great. We are excited to see you soon!
Sarah and Jake

Keith and Nicci said...

Congrats on the job! So when are you guys coming to AZ??? We're here until August 18th :)!

Tams Family said...

Good luck with the new job.

Keith and Nicci said...

Hey Matt- I'm gonna beat you up if you keep making fun of me for putting band-aids on my kid... well that is if we get to see you anytime soon, I guess :). Yes, we're new parents and we don't know how to take care of everything! What have you guys been up to lately?